“Women Convening for Peace”
Forward Global Women’s mission is to foster the development of peacemakers by bringing together women leaders and activists from the MENA region to share knowledge and grow skills that help advance and facilitate sustainable peace, security and co-existence for the well being of all.
* We believe the meaningful participation of women in all stages of the peace process is imperative to achieving sustainable peace.
* We believe that non-violent movements are the most effective way to
* We believe empathy is critical to achieving a just peace in the MENA region and that providing opportunities for women to share ideas, experiences and narratives will promote understanding.
* We believe that educating women and girls is the key to educating families and communities.
* We believe in the development of women as leaders and that having more women in leadership will further the pursuit of peace in the region and bring positive change to the MENA countries.
Why we exist:
|We live in a peace-deficit world. But what if the world was different? What if we were swathed with positive images of the nonviolent resolution of conflicts and war? How might things be different if we become peace weavers rather than peace hackers? Would it be possible to build a more peaceful world?
We wholeheartedly believe so. Peace is created by people who have the values, principles, and ethics of human dignity and equality that inform and sustain peaceful relationships. This is reminiscent of the preamble of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which begins by recognizing “the inherent dignity and the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family (as) the foundation of freedom, justice, and peace in the world” (United Nations General Assembly, 1948).
|From the US Civil Rights struggle to the Arab Spring, many initiatives and movements have challenged and contested the status quo and have tilted the scales in favor of ever-lasting peace and new leadership. A key component for supporting peace and democracy is increasing women’s participation in peace and reconciliation negotiations as well as developing and supporting women’s leadership abilities. Women’s participation in public life and political stability are mutually reinforcing.|
Help us raise money to make these projects happen and DONATE here:
Forward Global Women is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that convenes and trains women leaders in political and civic life from the MENA countries of Jordan, Palestine, Israel, Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco along with USA women. The first two convenings were held in St. Paul Minnesota in 2011 and 2013. The third convening was held in Berlin, Germany, October 14-17, 2014. The fourth convening was held in Minneapolis, MN from August 2-7, 2015. The fifth convening was held in Nicosia, Cyprus in July 2016. The sixth convening was held in Oslo, Norway in July 2017. The seventh convening was held in Washington, D.C. in July 2018. The eighth annual convening was held in Marrakech, Morocco from July 1 – 5, 2019.
Join our Mailing list!