In this second to last blog in 2016 convening participant Dina Baslan’s five part series, “On the Refugee Route” takes us along my friend Somar’s journey through Europe’s firewall; the Balkans. We tread through Greece, Macedonia and Serbia –queuing in lines, crossing borders on foot and sleeping in camps– before...Read More »
We are very appreciative that our opening reception will be hosted by the US Ambassador to Cyprus, Kathleen Dougherty.
For the convening, our keynote speakers include:
Professor Fatima Sadiqi, a Moroccan convening participant,...Read More »
President Sandy Pappas met with the two women offered the Women of Courage Award. Read more about Dr. Nagham Nazwat Hasan of Iraq and Nihal Naj Ali Al-Awlaqi’s of Yemen’s work on behalf of women in the Middle East.
28 March 2016 – Emphasizing the consistent, dependable and universal commitment of women to conflict prevention, the head of UN Women today called for greater efforts to reach the goal of allocating at least 15 per cent of peace-building resources to gender equality and women’s empowerment.
“Women need to be resourced...Read More »
Check out the new “Women Preventing Violent Extremism” thought for action kit published by the U.S. Institute for Peace. This document is for policy makers, practitioners and academics who are interested in understanding “why gender matters” in preventing violent extremism. Check it out here.Read More »
We are proud to share that two of our FGW team members from Morocco have authored chapters in this publication....Read More »
FGW President Senator Sandy Pappas holds a Forward Global Women talk at the American Association of University Women (AAUW) House on Summit Ave. in St. Paul, MN. A successful talk spreading the word about the successful work we do! Pictured from left is Lois Wintersteen, Sandy & early FGW, supporter...Read More »
Anissa Hassouna, Executive Director of Sir Magdi Yacoub Heart Foundation, was appointed to the New Egyptian Parliament for the next five years. Anissa was a participant at the 2015 FGW Convening in St. Paul, MN. Congratulations Anissa!
Anissa was the first woman elected to the Board of the Egyptian Council for...Read More »
Ellen Anderson, executive director of the University of Minnesota’s Energy Transition Lab, former state senator, and a former chair of the Public Utilities Commission co-authors a Community Voices article about the COP21 Climate talks and their implications for Minnesota in MinnPost....Read More »
This white paper is a great summary of the status of 1325’s progress and goals for the future penned by the Institute for Inclusive Security. It is very specific, and even tactical, as well as strategic and forward thinking. One section mentions the critical importance of mentorship for...Read More »
Sadiqi is a Professor of Linguistics and Gender Studies at the University of Fez, Morocco, Co-founder of the International Institute for Languages and Cultures, Woodrow Wilson Center Fellow, and Director...Read More »
Articles written by Forward Global Women Participants:
- “Women’s Bodies: the new battlefield of Tunisian lawmakers.” Ikram Ben Said (March, 2017)
- “The Central Role of Women’s Issues in Post-Arab Spring North Africa” Fatima Sadiqi (March, 2017)
- “Women Driving Positive Change in the Middle East” Fatima Sadiqi (March, 2017)
- “Why Women? Inclusive Security and Peaceful Societies” – The Institute for Inclusive Security (October, 2015)
- “Women, Peace, and Security: United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 in the Israel Context,” Sarai Aharini (2005)
- “Implementing and Monitoring National Plans: Strategies of Women’s Organizations”, Pnina Steinberg (2015)
- “Women’s Representation in Security Decision Making 2013-2014”, Pnina Steinberg (2005)
Articles about Forward Global Women:
- “Global Women’s Leadership Convening” – Minnesota Women’s Press, November 2015
- “Global Women’s Leadership Convening: Women in Public Life brought Participants Together at St. Kate’s for International Collaboration” – St. Catharine University Magazine, The Power of WE, October 2011
- “Israeli Leader Reflects on Global Women’s Leadership Convening” – St. Catherine University, July 2011